Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Kentucky Derby

There are about three things that happen to me year after year without fail: My birthday comes and goes, my mom still loves me and I pick the wrong horse in the Kentucky Derby. I am willing to go out on the limb and say the first Saturday in May is my favorite day of the year. From drinking Mint Juleps to listening to My Old Kentucky Home all the way to picking the wrong horse. Its all tradition. This year I am looking forward to the "Village People" singing a rendition of their song "Macho macho man" but changing the lyrics for the horse "mucho macho man". That kind of thing will never lead to that horse winning the race so don't pick him. I'm not sure if I have ever picked the winner though, my mind tells me I picked Barbaro but I can't remember that far back. I do remember in 2009 i felt the fire i went with Fresian Fire... He got 19th place. In 2008 I went with Colonel John who got 5th place. And last year I felt awesome with my pick of "Awesome Act" who finished 19th. Needless to say in 2011 I have no idea why all my friends have been texting me all week asking who I'm going to bet on and telling me they need my pick. Well here you go here is my assessment of the 2011 Kentucky Derby. In a field of no great horses post position is huge. posts 17-20 have won twice in the past 33 races one of those being Big Brown and there is no horse that good in this field so eliminate all the horses who drew 17-20 post positions. The best post position is 5-10 and have accounted for 16 of 33 of the past winners. Then there is post 15 and 16 who have accounted for 6 of the past 33. I was all set to pick Archarcharch until hours of research went to waste when a little ball with the number 1 revealed he will not win the kentucky derby this year. So with all that being said.. I have zero idea who is going to win this year, but I am looking forward to drinking Mint juleps, Reciting the wrong lyrics to my old kentucky home even though NBC provides the lyrics and cheering for whoever I pick. I'm debating between Midnight Interlude, Uncle Mo and Soldat. Cheers to hopefully being in Kentucky and picking the winner in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. your mom will ALWAYS love you!
    Love,
    your mom

    ReplyDelete